Wednesday, April 16, 2008

First blog post...

So, welcome to my blog.

I started this thing because I want a way to profile my training and results so I don't need to bore my wife, friends and coworkers with all kinds of cycling nonsense. I figure you came here on purpose, so I can rant and ramble and "you," lovely reader, can take it--or not.

So, I began my base training in January 2008. Each week I put in about 3-4 hours on the bike. Most of my workouts included sub-threshold intervals along with SST durations of aprox. 1 hr. In February I increased my training volume to 6-8 hours per week. One day of SST, one day sub-threshold and L2-3 spinning for the remainder. I began a weak "build" phase in March including sets of 5 min VO2 intervals, and more strength training (higher gear work for SST).

My first two races were in the first weekend of April, the Mississinewa Reservoir Road Race on the 5th and Burnham Racing's Super Crit. on the 6th.

My goals were modest: 1) don't crash, and 2) stick with the peloton. I didn't crash and I did pretty well. I placed 9 of 15 in the road race (28 miles) and that was due to a tactical mistake (I went waaaaaaaaaaay too early for the finish.). At the Super Crit I placed 10/47 (35 min.) and was pretty pleased with my result. I was a bit fearful of the peloton though, with so many turns many riders were holding different (read: crossing) lines. I stayed near the back till the bell lap then moved my way up the outside.

I have my third race this weekend, Great Dane #2 (Cat 5, 20 min +2), and though I have not put in the right training over the last two weeks, I am confident I will learn a great deal. My goals are similar as above, but rather than attempting to stick with the peloton, I am going to attack them and burn all my matches within those 25 or so min.

Unless I really try to dig deep and leave everything on the course, I won' t ever know how.

Wish me luck...

No comments: