Monday, June 30, 2008

Proctor

Proctor Il. State Championship, 6/29/08 Cat 4
Race #9

14th of 40ish

This was my first 4s race. Some short observations: it was far less twitchy than the 5s. Corners were smooth and fast, even in the back where I spent most of my time. I did use the breaks, but never more than to take a few mph off a turn to avoid overlapping wheels.

The course was an 8 turn, hourglass crit in the middle of downtown Peoria, Illinois. Not too much going on down there. Really.

I was nervous about the number of turns, but I felt way better after the first lap or two. There is a level of experience in the 4s that the 5/citizens just don’t have -- but I’m not a 5 anymore so, yippee!

This one was not faster than any others I have done. In fact, it was a bit slower. So, why did I do so much work just to hang on? Answer: 15 additional min or racing, but more importantly the accordion effect. I have heard people talk about it, but I have not felt it this dramatically and that was probably due to the additional time and my positioning. A sad data point from today’s race: my top speed was 33mph. I did reach it in the sprint; however, I also hit 32 mph in several separate efforts to stay with the group in laps oh, say 10-20.

Coming out of turn 6 was a great place to push the pace. The front took off here on almost every lap because it was into the wind and the longest stretch of the race save the finishing straight. I put my greatest effort into staying with the peloton here and not in securing a final position. I wasted tons of energy. Whatever. I was recovered enough by the final lap and so because of that, and a crash in turn 7, I placed well enough at 14th.

It was a revelation, this one. I mentally handcuffed myself: I walked into it planning on sitting in and keeping Nate and Alex in sight – that is not too hard when you’re 6’2” and sting on the very back of the field. I acted like I didn’t have any business racing with or against these guys (not just my teammates but everyone else). I do. I know I am faster and smarter than what I showed yesterday.

Alex finished right in front of me at 13th and Nate pulled 6th after doing work at the front. Not terrible grouping -- if we were playing darts.

What does it take to win? After the finish Chris probably was feeling something like cardiac arrest and seeing spots among other things—if he could see at all. Less than 100 m after the finish he fumbled off his bike and sat on the curb, spent. It was clear that he put 100% into his break and he had the guts to make it stick. His courage and heart/guts earned him the state champion jersey. Congrats!

No comments: