Monday, June 2, 2008

Winfield Twilight & ABR Championships


Winfield Twilight, 5/31/08 Cat 5

Race #6

10 of 33

The course was a bit less than a mile, evenly divided between ascent and descent. I thought it was really tough course. The hill is about 300 m and, according to a reliable source, about 3-5%. It was technical and despite the difficulty, really fun. It ran through a subdivision near a park and so it had a nice cozy feeling. Also, there were fans all over the place -- I needed all the support I could get.

Report:

I held on to the lead group of 9 riders until the last lap, where I was again gapped on the climb but this time I couldn’t get back on. I rolled in a very distant 10th place.

The focus of the longer version of the report is an answer to one simple question: how important is a warm up? Very important.

So, the race was to go off at 3:00. Cat. 5s were first, so we were on time. I pulled up at 2:35, changed, got the bike ready, ran to the bathroom (no time for a shit), registered, pinned my number on – now its like 2:55 and my HR is already in Z3. I rode the course for 5 min, two laps -- I had 5 min to warm up! Ok, not a good start. We lined up and waited for a guy to move his truck, and yet another guy to find the keys to his car so he can move it. The official blew the whistle, and we took off – well, not me, I was still trying to get clipped in. Shit. Not a good start…

We turn the corner and head up the hill. This hill really would come to be my enemy, far more than the other racers. I never found the proper gear (warm-up!!!) until 20 min into the race, by then my legs were wood and the race had been set for me. On each of the last 4 laps I was gapped on the climb and bridged back on the descent, meaning I never recovered as well as I should have. I cracked on the last lap.

Lots should have been done differently today, mostly a warm up. A disappointing result because I know I could have done better. I’m not going to cry over it, I still had a good but painful time.

Grant (xXx) and another racer took off on an attack at the second lap and was away for 2 or 3 laps, I thought he would have held it off for the win (he placed 5th), he and the other guy (the eventual winner, got reeled in at about the 18th min. Another xXx rider touched my rear wheel on the climb and went down (It happened after I got out of the saddle but I don’t think I induced it; sorry man.)

ABD gets an A+ for this event.

ABR National Championships, 6/1/08 Cat 5s (39 and under)
Race #7

3rd/18

I stayed up front and though about going with the attack with two laps to go, I followed the attack too late but broke away from the field and was 2nd on the crest of the hill, I lost the legs for 2nd in the final 100m and finished ahead of 4th by about 1.5 bike lengths.

Report:
This course had a steep hill, but it was not as long as the Twilight course. Overall I felt better today primarily because I had a proper warm-up. Amazing physiological effect a warm-up has: yesterday my ave HR was 171, today it was 161, and speeds were 22and 23mph respectively.

I was able to select a good gear for the climb and stuck to the point on the course where I should shift. God, that last 10 meters around turn three hurt, the grade feels a bit steeper there than the rest of the hill. I should have attacked there on the second to last lap.

An ABD rider attacked with two to go and made it stick. I watched him attack after turn 1 and thought he’d get reeled back in on the climb, so I didn’t go (mistake). I began to chase the two man break on the bell lap. I was up front of the field at the start of the climb and was able to ride a bunch off my wheel except for one xXx rider. I was strictly focused on catching the ABD rider who was now solo – I thought I could do it. I reached the top of the climb in 2nd place, and after a few kicks to clear my legs I shifted and began to pick up speed on the descent to the final turn. I took turn 4 hot and then began to kill it to the finish. What I did was provide a top notch lead-out for the xXx rider. Why would I do such a thing? Because I didn’t really know or care that he was there until the last 100 meters when he started to come around me. I should have looked back immediately after turn 4 and I could have been smarter about 2nd place, but I wanted to catch the leader – I wanted to win. So rather than looking after the turn to see who was with me I turned on the juice and pulled him toward the line at 28-32mph. With 100m to go he jumped, I shifted and feebly attempted to stay ahead of him. I held him for a few kicks, then realized I couldn’t hold him off and threw in the towel. I sat up feeling a bit defeated. A teammate who was watching the finish though I misjudged where the line was, I was simply done racing at that point. I coasted in 3rd.

I am happy to say that I did close a big chunk of the gap. And it hurt. Overall, I’m pleased with my result and performance. I earned my result by tactical decisions and not by physical limitations, this is kinda new. It was also nice to stand on the podium and be photographed. That was pretty damn cool as you can clearly tell by my big goofy smile.


Next race: Sherman Park. Flat and fast, so I’m told.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mike! It must feel great to be up on the podium! SpiderMonkey's are proud of you!

Mike said...

Thanks Dean!

James said...

Man those kits are sexy. Nice job on the podium, guys.