Monday, May 3, 2010

43 races; first crash

Vernon Hills
Masters 30+

There are two groups in a typical race: protagonists and the fodder. In this racer I knew I was fodder, but I was interested to see how well I could do. So, after half the race two get away and I was feeling pretty good so I decided that I'd go for the field sprint.

At times sitting in was not easy; at other times it was.

Last lap I made two mistakes. After turn three I made the first. I moved up the outside and the wheel in front of me slowed and so I slowed. I should have kept the momentum going and gone farther into the top 10. But I decided to be conservative.

Mistake two. As we arced to the right, into the wind, with about 250m to go, I waited. I leaned to the right to dodge the wind a bit more and as I did I overlapped wheels with a rider moving to the left. At least, that's what I think happened. I don't even know who's wheel I touched.

I touched the ground. PM read 33mph then 19mph then 0.

Two others go down. Sorry guys. I've been in that position 43 times and each time I've adjusted. Luck ran out yesterday.

I'll be back as soon as some skin grows back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everyone crashes, the point is to get the most out of them. Yours was pretty spectacular - I think you undersold it a little. Heal up fast - if you need road rash tips, hell, just ask.

Mike said...

Thanks Eric.

anything that ranks as 'spectacular' which does not end up with a hospital trip is absolutely fantastic.