Monday, May 26, 2008

Blah, blah, blah...


Coming up: Winfield twilight and ABR championships next weekend, 5/31 & 6/1.

This last week was pretty hectic. Work was a bit nutty and I felt, oddly, a lack of control of my subject matter. Really strange feeling because I know it so well--I just couldn't figure out how to teach it well enough. Luckily it was a rest week and I didn't have the fatigue of training wearing me down. I still rode 175 miles and other than the group ride on Saturday, I took it nice and easy.



Tour de Cure/Bike the Drive was a lot of fun. Maria and her father came out to ride with us. I also got a chance to meet the director of the Tour de Cure, Eric Goodwin (Vitaminwater-Trek/Burnham racing). He mentioned something that I have not been able to let go...that Winfield's course has a "real" hill. I have no idea what that means, but he is a 3 so I assume he knows what he is talking about. I am excited because I know I am strong enough to do well, I wonder how I will be able to use a "real hill" -- if at all.

These two 30 min crits will help round out a step-up in my build phase. My race strategy so far has been to sit in and kill it in the last lap. My readjusted goal for this season is to be strong enough to jump with real attacks and eventually break away -- and stay away. I'll need to check the calender and see how much time I have because I sure as shit can't make this happen now (for long anyway). But this weekend will be a nice testing ground.

Training notes: Last week was a recovery week (175 miles base, zone 2 mostly). Sunday and Monday off. Tuesday (am): threshold. Wednesday (pm): over/under (30:30), Thursday (pm): Tempo. Friday: nice and easy. Saturday & Sunday: race.

No comments: