Monday, May 19, 2008

Monsters of the Midway. 5/17/08

Thanks to the most prolific cycling photographer in the Midwest, John Wilke, for this photo!

Result: 1st/60

Preface:
Three weeks ago when I dropped out of the Iowa City Road Race, I became upset that I had lulled myself into a state of denial. I ignored my training and thought I could get away with barley doing the minimum. On the long drive back to Chicago, I vowed to earn my next result.

For the last three weeks I had been training with focus and intensity, driven by the embarrassment of earning a DNF. That drive helped me earn the win at Monsters.

All week I had been feeling pretty relaxed thinking only of how I may be able to break away from the field on the Midway, knowing that the wind would play into it. Friday, I was relaxed, had a good dinner and went to bed at a reasonable time. Saturday I woke up early, made a good breakfast and sat around drinking water. That is when the nerves started to build.

By the time I rode down to Hyde Park, I was more calm but still edgy. Warming up I was thinking about how stupid this is, why do I put myself through this, why do I stress out just to race by bikewhy don’t I just ride around for fun?

Report:

...cause winning is fun.

On the start line, I realized that I should, first, finish upright; second, I should aim for the podium. If I lowered my intention then, that would have begun the slippery slope to never winning and being comfortable with that. I put that crap aside. I wanted to stay near enough to the front and keep an eye on things.

The race goes off and I didn’t let anyone get too far, and anyone that passed me I got a good look at ‘em to see how long they could keep up the work. Luckily, people looked tired, and didn’t like the fast pace on the backside. I felt strong and even got to chat a bit with Grant (xXx-Athletico) and my teammate Can Meral. I also didn’t have my Garmin working (forgot to charge it!) and so I listened to my body rather than micromanage my HR. I think I may do this from now on. I want to know the data after, but not during.

The racing was sketchy, the first few turns caused lots of problems. One rider went down because – I think – pedal strike. I was sideswiped and almost taken out by a rider who was obviously reaching too far and does not know how to hold a line or a lane (this was on the straight too!); dropped riders also became a real hazzard. Alex almost ran one over after his sprint in the 4s race. But, after 15-20 min in our race the field was strung out enough to where there was plenty of room to maneuver.

On the final lap, I moved up into the wind and was not able to hold a wheel for most of the backside. Mostly because people were fading. There were several pair of riders and a few solos in front of me (99% of them xXx)—I knew would have to turn it on and hold it out. Just before the turn, I ramped up the pace wanting to carry momentum around the turn into the wind. At the turn I was in 6th position. I hit the turn hot, really hot, and made it through in one piece. After the turn on the straight home, I caught up to my buddy Grant (5th position) and hollered his name (I was cutting by him pretty close and he was weaving a bit.) His reply: “fuck!” I pass him and dropped into, I think, my 13 or 14. I stood to get the momentum in the new gear, to get the rpm’s up, and then sat and ground it down. At about 50 meters out, I realized I could take it. I stood again and pushed it, hard. In all the last two min. were hard, but I could have gone longer, meaning I could have gone sooner and crossed uncontested. Though it was fun to catch everyone in the sprint…

I hit the line first by about ½ a bike length. I won a red GP4000 tire. Yippie!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My reply was "fuck" because I though the other xXx rider and I had a larger gap and I wasn't expecting you there. The weaving was due to my body giving out after jumping with 3/4 of a mile left.

Grant

Mike said...

I took that turn hot and don't think I lost much speed after. I came close enough to you where I made myself nervous (hence the yelling).

Hey, first comment on my stupid blog! Thanks, Grant!

..see you at Winfield!