Monday, May 5, 2008

So far...

Twelve days to go...

I did some good, solid work last week. I didn't put in large volume of time, but the quality was there. Sat and Sunday I took off to travel with my family to Springfield to remember my mom's brother, Tim, who was killed in Vietnam, 40 years ago Friday. Hearing the vets and especially the POW speak of honor, put things in perspective. Namely, that this racing thing is for my personal growth and enjoyment--nothing more.

That is an important perspective because of the physical strain that goes into training. It is hard, and it is easy to wimp out. It is hard, and it is easy to not do it. But if I want to, and choose to, then I should follow through with the commitment to myself and be reminded that many are unable to make that choice. Not that I race for them, that view is pretty condescending, but that I am simply put, fortunate. That is all.

I rode to work today and got about 15 min of SST in on both trips. Tomorrow morning I'll work threshold for about 30 min, and Wednesday evening an hour of SST. Thursday I'll ride to work, weather permitting. Friday morning, V02 work. Saturday and Sunday, I'd like to get in a very long ride, or two. I'll need to play that one by ear.

No comments: